Summer time is just around the corner; can you believe it? Soon that final bell is going to ring at school and signal the end of the school year and to signal the beginning of a kid’s favorite time of the year. Summer time! Freedom! Kids are so excited about no school, but that excitement can very quickly fade into that all too familiar statement, “I’m bored…there’s nothing to do.” Every parent dreads hearing those words because it seems like nothing is good enough to satisfy the boredom bug that has bitten your kids. But alas some very smart mom somewhere had this brilliant idea. Why not create an “I’m bored..” jar? A jar filled with activities to do when a kid decides to say, “I’m bored.” The best part? They can be any suggestion at all! It might be a chore, and it might be 30 minutes of screen time. Who knows? Here is a link to a blog about bored jars that has a list of activities you could put in your own bored jar.
Another idea for some motivation for the summer is to create a contest for the summer.
- Take some time and sit down with your kids and come up with a list of chores or activities (like reading or math worksheets) they could do.
- Then assign point values to each of the activities or chores.
- Designate some rewards they can use their points to get. You could even practice goal setting with your kids and teach them how to save their points up for a big reward.
- Keep track of the points on the refrigerator. Make it a fun contest to see who can get the most points the fastest.Kids love a good competition and the chore chart is a great way to keep them reading, learning and keep them active for the summer. There will be times when you need to get out of the house this summer, and lucky for us
Oklahoma City has some pretty amazing things to keep kids entertained this summer.
- Free Bowling for Kids
- Splash pads and parks
- Children’s Garden and Thunder Fountain
- Science Museum
- Tinseltown Summer Movies
What are your favorite activities to do with your kids in the summer time? Let us know in the comments section below! Feeling like you don't have to time to do any of these with your kids? Give us the to do list and get out and have some fun with your little ones.